A Southern-style Christmas dish is perfect to warm up your home. Prepare two buffets, one for appetizers, the next one is for the main meal. To make the whole thing more colorful, prepare a class of champagne and with some pomegranate juice and seeds. For desserts, complete your Southern-style Christmas dish with pecan pie with vanilla ice cream or a bowl of ambrosia with fruits that are in season.
If the preparation intimidates you, we advise you to prepare the Christmas dishes two days before and just heat it up on the big day. Or, another suggestion is that, instead of preparing large casseroles, better whip up smaller servings of the dishes you want. We also have a recipe from the Wild American Shrimp Inc. if you want to do some Southern-style cooking. This recipe makes up to 4 servings.
Wild American Shrimp and Scallops with Orange Juice
- 16 large scallops
- 8 extra-large Wild American Shrimp
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup sliced leeks
- 1 cup sliced fennel bulb
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- Reduced to 1/2 cup (reduce
- By boiling over high heat)
- 1 tablespoon champagne
- Pinch sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon,
- Season scallops and shrimp with salt and pepper. On a 12-inch skillet, heat some olive oil. Cook the shrimp and scallops on it, about 2 minutes per side. When cooked, set it aside and keep warm.
- Add leeks and fennel to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes, be careful not to burn it. Add wine, orange juice reduction, vinegar and sugar, bring it to a boil and reduce the heat by half. Swirl in butter and fresh tarragon.
- Add sauce to shrimp and scallops and toss well to coat.
Have a delicious Southern-style Christmas dish for a yummy holiday celebration!